Seachtain na Gaeilge
Seachtain na Gaeilge runs from 1-17 March 2019. There are lots of events happening in Fingal - you can download the programme here Seachtain na Gaeilge i bhFine Gall2019
Seachtain na Gaeilge in Fingal - Exciting programme launched
Seachtain na Gaeilge will be celebrated in style in Fingal again in 2019 as Fingal County Council launches an exciting and varied programmed of events. This international Irish Language festival runs from 1-17 March with its motto encouraging everyone use whatever Irish they have – Bain Triail Aisti. Council events are taking place in County Hall Swords, Local Libraries and the Seamus Ennis Centre and many other events are being organised by Irish language groups throughout the County. The Seachtain na Gaeilge i bhFine Gall programme, compiled in conjunction with the Council’s Coiste na Gaeilge, is available on the Council’s website www.Fingal.ie.
On Tuesday 6th March at the Atrium County Hall Swords, there will be Ceol, Craic and Gaeilge with musicians Sean McElwain, Bernadette Nic Gabhann and Eamonn Galldubh from 7 to 9pm. This event will welcome Irish language enthusiasts from the county to join Fingal staff at this very popular annual event. Participation is encouraged so if you have a song you’d like to share, here’s your chance.
The film the Camino Voyage will be shown in the Seamus Ennis Centre, Naul on Thursday 7 March at 8.30. This visually stunning film, featuring music and singing, follows the inspiring 2,500 km journey from Ireland to Northern Spain in a traditional boat and stars Glen Hansard, Brendan Begley, Liam Holden, Brendan-Pháid Moriarty and Danny Sheehy. The stunning chapel in Swords Castle will be the setting for a Lón le Gaeilge on Tuesday 12th from 1pm.
Events in local libraries include music by Antaine Ó Faracháin and Nollaig Mac Cárthaigh in Blanchardstown 13th and Balbriggan 14th at 6.30pm. Manchán Magan will talk about his travel experiences in Malahide library the 8th 2-3pm. Sadhbh Devlin will read her story Bí ag Spraoi Liom in 4 Libraries and Ballet Poulet will perform in Blanchardstown on the 14th.
Fingal County Council events:
- Ceol Craic agus Gaeilge, County Hall, Swords, Wednesday March 6th 7-9pm. All welcome
- Lunch with Irish Conversation, Chapel Swords Castle Tuesday March 12th 1-2pm
- Bilingual story-time - Sadhbh Devlin in 4 Libraries: Baldoyle 4th 10-11am, Howth 5th Donabate 6th and Garristown 7th March all at 3.30– 4.30pm
- Travel Experiences in Africa, India and South America - Manchán Magan, writer and broadcaster, tells stories from twenty years of travelling the world. A bilingual talk, comprehensible to Béarlóirí Malahide Library 8th March 2.00pm – 3.00pm
- Sean-Nós Singing & Traditional Music - Antaine Ó Faracháin (Songs/Fiddle) & Nollaig Mac Cárthaigh (Uilleann Pipes) Blanchardstown Library 13th & Balbriggan Library 14th both 6.30pm – 7.45pm
- Ballet Poulet - Fun dance and comedy duo bring mayhem and ballet to Blanchardstown Library 14th March 11.30– 12.30 (Class visit), 30pm –4.30pm (open session)
Some other events
- Bilingual Storytime and Irish Language tour of house in Farmleigh March 16th
- Bilingual Walk Balbriggan Saturday 9th at 1.30 after the Ciorcal Comhrá in Molly’s and Pop up Gaeltacht with music session, Monday 11th Central Bar 8.30pm with Gaeilge i mBaile Brigín
- Fingallian’s GAA Club Swords Ciorcal Comhrá 6th and 13th and Lá Mór na nGael 16th March
- Irish language Coffee Mornings - Maidineacha Caife around the county http://maidineacha-caife.weebly.com/
- POP UP Gaeltacht the Carpenter Pub, Dublin 15 on Saturday 9th March at 8pm.
- POP UP Gaeltacht in the Harbour Bar, Howth on Thursday 14th March at 8pm
Mayor Fingal Cllr. Anthony Lavin commented “This varied programme of events has something to attract people of all ages and abilities and gives people a chance to engage with the language in a fun way”
Paul Reid Chief Executive said “Our continued participation in and support for Seachtain na Gaeilge reflects Fingal County Council’s commitment to supporting the promotion of the Irish Language within the Council and the County. I am delighted to welcome the Fingal community to County Hall and our Libraries for these events and to enjoy what will be an excellent opportunity to use the language.”
You can download the Seachtain na Gaeilge programme on www.Fingal.ie. Follow us on twitter at @fingalcoco @fingallibraries and Facebook https://www.facebook.com/fingalcoco . further information contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow us on twitter @fingalcoco