Unauthorised Structures and Derelict Sites

Unauthorised Development is development and / or use of a structure that is in breach of the Planning Laws.  Exempted Development is development for which planning permission is not required. You can also make a complaint about Derelict and Dangerous structures or places. 

Exempted Development

Exempted Development is development for which you don’t need planning permission. Generally it includes developments of a minor nature like :

  • Building of an extension ,shed, garage, boundary walls etc, within the curtilage of a dwelling house subject to conditions and limitations (see below)
  • In the case of a Protected Structure and or structures in an Architectural Conservation area works that do not affect the character of particular structures or specific parts of particular structures or specific features within the attendant grounds of particular structures may be exempted development. However you should apply to the Local Authority for a written Declaration as to the type of works which it considers would or would not materially affect the character of the structure or of any element of the structure.
  • Some changes of use, except in the case of a protected structure. 

Full details of exempted development provisions including conditions and limations is contained in Schedule 2,Part 1 of the Planning and Development Regulations 2001, S.I. 600 of 2001 which is available on www.irishstatutebook.ie

Unauthorised Development

Unauthorised Development is development and /or use that is in breach of the planning laws. We have a responsibility to ensure enforcement of the planning laws known as Planning Enforcement.

A development is unauthorised when:

  • Planning Permission is required and has not been obtained.
  • Planning Permission has been granted but the development is not been carried out in accordance with the plans lodged or conditions of the planning permission granted.
  • It does not comply with all the conditions and limitations to qualify a development as exempt.

If you want to make a complaint about unauthorised development fill in the Planning Enforcement Complaint Form and FAQ Complaint Form Regarding Alleged Unauthorised Development and send it back to the address below. Please read the attached notes carefully before sending the form to us.

Derelict site

Is any land which detracts, or is likely to detract, to a material degree from the amenity, character or appearance of land in the neighbourhood of the land in question because of;

  • the existence on the land in question of structures which are in a ruinous, derelict or dangerous condition, or 
  • the neglected, unsightly or objectionable condition of the land or any structures on the land in question, or
  • the presence, deposit or collection on the land in question of any litter, rubbish, debris or waste, except where the presence, deposit or collection of such litter, rubbish, debris or waste results from the exercise of a right conferred statute or by common law.

If you want to report a derelict site fill in the Derelict Sites Complaint Form and send it back to us at the address below.

Dangerous structure

A dangerous structure is;

  1. is any building, wall or other structure of any kind or
  2. any part of, or anything attached to a building, wall or other structures of any kind that, in the opinion of the sanitary authority in whose sanitary district it is situate, is or is likely to be dangerous to any person or property. 

Protected Structure

Each owner/occupier has a duty to ensure that protected structures both interior and exterior are protected from endangerment. A protected structure is one where the owner/occupier has been issued a notice from the Planning Authority telling them that the structure has been added to its record of protected structures. 

Damaging a protected structure is an offence.
If you want to make a complaint about a protected structure it must be made in writing, and sent to us at the address below.

Contact Us

Post: Inspectorate Division
         Environment, Business & Enterprise Department
         Fingal  County Council
         County Hall
         Main Street

Email: inspectorate@fingal.ie